Our organization was formed in 2008 to foster positive community and economic development in Wilkinsburg Borough.
Over the past decade, we have championed efforts to stabilize and transform the community in partnership with Wilkinsburg officials and other local, regional, and state agencies dedicated to strengthening Wilkinsburg.
WCDC Key Accomplishments
Since opening our office in 2010:
- 74 business district properties have new owners
- 31 property owners have renovated their building facades
- 25 vacant storefronts have been filled
- 370 residents have received small business training and
- 70 new businesses have opened in Wilkinsburg
Our Core Four Business Planning Workshops have resulted in 134 accomplished graduates, 93% have been BIPOC and nearly 70% have been Black women.
Working with our housing partners:
- 100 units of affordable housing have been created
- 12 new housing units have been constructed
- 53 blighted properties have been cleared in Wilkinsburg
- 52 vacant properties have new owners
- 29 homeowners received critical home repairs
We have generated over 265 positive press articles about Wilkinsburg and hosted thousands of residents and visitors at our street festivals, vacant house tours, home and garden tours, and other community events. And we have helped over 2,850 youth achieve their educational and civic goals by providing grants and marketing assistance to support local summer and afterschool programs.