Wilkinsburg Youth Initiative
Partnering with local youth organizations that engage young people in our work and enhance their experiences in Wilkinsburg.
Youth initiative mini-grant program
Each spring, we announce the WCDC Youth Initiative Mini-Grant Program to support groups and organizations within Wilkinsburg that support the academic and civic endeavors of our youth. The program is made possible through a generous grant from the Howard & Nell E. Miller Foundation of the PNC Charitable Trusts.
How it works
The application cycle is now open for the 2020 Youth & Education Mini-Grants! Applications must be received by 4 p.m. on Friday, May 1, 2020. Awardees will be notified by May 22, 2019 and all projects must be completed by August 31, 2020. Contact us for application information.
Thank you to all of the 2018 applicants and congrats to these winners:
- Barrels to Beethoven – Funds will support the organization’s Summer Program, which aims to engage up to 30 Wilkinsburg youth between the ages of 8 and 14 through the lens of music and making. The program will provide in-depth, educational context for the history, development, and production of the steel pan while also teaching technique, music theory, and performance skills.
- Deliverance Baptist Church – Funds will support the Next Generation Ministry’s field trip to the National Museum of African American History & Culture in Washington, D.C. The main goal of the trip will be to expose participating youth to the rich history and contributions of African Americans throughout history in an effort to inspire them to be imaginative and inventive in the ways in which they can make an impact in their community.
- Wilkinsburg Family Support Center – Funds will support the “Wake Up the Vote” Summer Camp, which aims to educate youth about the history and importance of voting. Youth will use this information to create excitement around voting and increase voter turnout in Wilkinsburg.
- Ethnan Temple SDA Church: The Children’s Ministry Department at Ethnan Temple will use grant funds to support a summer-long young girls book club for local youth ages 7-11.
- Pittsburgh Urban Christian School (PUCS): PUCS will use the funding to provide scholarships that will enable low-income students living within Wilkinsburg’s boundaries to attend their Robotics Camp this summer. Additionally, funding will help PUCS defray the general costs of operating their camp.
- Pittsburgh Soccer in the Community: Partnering with the Borough of Wilkinsburg’s Parks & Recreation Committee, Pittsburgh Soccer in the Community will use funding to offer soccer workshops for local youth throughout the summer at Hunter Park.
- Wilkinsburg Baseball Association (WBA): WBA will use funding to support their 2017 season as well as for maintenance at Turner Field.
- St. Mark’s AME Church: St. Mark’s will use grant funds to support a weeklong program to teach local youth how to fish as well as basic first aid and water safety.
Previous Youth Initiative Mini-Grant winners include:
- 2016: Rebuilding Together Pittsburgh for a community restoration project in the 1300 block of Franklin Avenue, where the tragic March 2016 shooting took place; Pittsburgh Urban Christian School for five need-based Robotics Camp scholarships and general program expenses; and Union of African Communities in Southwestern PA to engage local youth in a practical, hands-on learning experience in aquaponics.
- 2015: Pittsburgh Urban Christian School (PUCS) for Robotics Camp scholarships and the Wilkinsburg Student Union for their Youth Media Corps. Thanks to additional funding made possible by the Howard & Nell E. Miller Foundation, we were able to support even more great youth organizations in 2015:
- Covenant Church of Pittsburgh: Spanish Summer Camp at Wilkinsburg’s Turner Elementary
- Prince Hall Masonic Temple: Health Fair & Kids’ Fest
- Hosanna House, Inc.: Summer Nights Event
- The Entertainment Consortium: Summer Event
- Wilkinsburg Baseball Association: 2015 Season
- Greater Pittsburgh Area MAD DADS: Mini Library at Wilkinsburg’s Ferguson Playground & Fatherhood Celebration
- 2014: Wilkinsburg Baseball Association for their 2014 season
- 2013: Wilkinsburg High School Civics Class for Gym after Dark
- 2012 & 2011: Wilkinsburg Community Ministry for the Youth Meal Partnership, which provides hot, nutritious meals to youth enrolled in the Wilkinsburg Boys & Girls Club summer program.
- 2010: Wilkinsburg Boys & Girls Club for summer camp scholarships and sponsorship of a field trip to Idlewild Park.