Education & Youth
The WCDC is pleased to partner with local youth organizations on programs and projects that engage young people in our work and enhance their experiences in Wilkinsburg.
Youth Initiative Mini-Grant Program
Each spring, we announce the WCDC Youth Initiative Mini-Grant Program to support groups and organizations within Wilkinsburg that support the academic and civic endeavors of our youth. The program is made possible through a generous grant from the Howard & Nell E. Miller Foundation of the PNC Charitable Trusts.
The 2018 Youth & Education Mini-Grant Cycle is OPEN NOW! Complete our application before April 27, 2018 to be considered for funding this year.
- Ethnan Temple SDA Church: The Children’s Ministry Department at Ethnan Temple will use grant funds to support a summer-long young girls book club for local youth ages 7-11.
- Pittsburgh Urban Christian School (PUCS): PUCS will use the funding to provide scholarships that will enable low-income students living within Wilkinsburg’s boundaries to attend their Robotics Camp this summer. Additionally, funding will help PUCS defray the general costs of operating their camp.
- Pittsburgh Soccer in the Community: Partnering with the Borough of Wilkinsburg’s Parks & Recreation Committee, Pittsburgh Soccer in the Community will use funding to offer soccer workshops for local youth throughout the summer at Hunter Park.
- Wilkinsburg Baseball Association (WBA): WBA will use funding to support their 2017 season as well as for maintenance at Turner Field.
- St. Mark’s AME Church: St. Mark’s will use grant funds to support a weeklong program to teach local youth how to fish as well as basic first aid and water safety.
Previous Youth Initiative Mini-Grant winners include:
- 2016: Rebuilding Together Pittsburgh for a community restoration project in the 1300 block of Franklin Avenue, where the tragic March 2016 shooting took place; Pittsburgh Urban Christian School for five need-based Robotics Camp scholarships and general program expenses; and Union of African Communities in Southwestern PA to engage local youth in a practical, hands-on learning experience in aquaponics.
- 2015: Pittsburgh Urban Christian School (PUCS) for Robotics Camp scholarships and the Wilkinsburg Student Union for their Youth Media Corps. Thanks to additional funding made possible by the Howard & Nell E. Miller Foundation, we were able to support even more great youth organizations in 2015:
- Covenant Church of Pittsburgh: Spanish Summer Camp at Wilkinsburg’s Turner Elementary
- Prince Hall Masonic Temple: Health Fair & Kids’ Fest
- Hosanna House, Inc.: Summer Nights Event
- The Entertainment Consortium: Summer Event
- Wilkinsburg Baseball Association: 2015 Season
- Greater Pittsburgh Area MAD DADS: Mini Library at Wilkinsburg’s Ferguson Playground & Fatherhood Celebration
- 2014: Wilkinsburg Baseball Association for their 2014 season
- 2013: Wilkinsburg High School Civics Class for Gym after Dark
- 2012 & 2011: Wilkinsburg Community Ministry for the Youth Meal Partnership, which provides hot, nutritious meals to youth enrolled in the Wilkinsburg Boys & Girls Club summer program.
- 2010: Wilkinsburg Boys & Girls Club for summer camp scholarships and sponsorship of a field trip to Idlewild Park.