Education & Youth
The WCDC is pleased to partner with local youth organizations on programs and projects that engage young people in our work and enhance their experiences in Wilkinsburg.
Youth Initiative Mini-Grant Program
Each year, we make funding available to groups and organizations within Wilkinsburg that support the academic and civic endeavors of our youth. The WCDC Youth Initiative Mini-Grant Program has $3,000 available, which may be awarded in its entirety or in smaller amounts depending on the number of applicants and the quality of the applications.
The 2017 grant cycle is NOW OPEN! Download the application to learn more. The deadline to apply is Friday, May 5, 2017.
- Rebuilding Together Pittsburgh (RTP): RTP will use the funding to engage 50+ low- to moderate-income youth in a community revitalization project this summer focused on restoring the 1300 block of Franklin Avenue, where the tragic shooting took place this past March. The project is in partnership with The Sanctuary Project and the Wilkinsburg Youth Project.
- Pittsburgh Urban Christian School (PUCS): PUCS will use the funding to provide five scholarships that will enable low-income students living within Wilkinsburg’s boundaries to attend their Robotics Camp this summer. Additionally, funding will help PUCS defray the general costs of operating their camp.
- Union of African Communities in Southwestern PA: UACSWPA will use the funding to engage local youth in a practical, hands-on learning experience in aquaponics. The project aims to address (1) food insecurity; (2) youth delinquencies; and (3) illiteracy and unemployment. The project is in partnership with Youth Places in Wilkinsburg.
Previous Youth Initiative Mini-Grant winners include:
- 2015: Pittsburgh Urban Christian School (PUCS) for Robotics Camp scholarships and the Wilkinsburg Student Union for their Youth Media Corps. Thanks to additional funding made possible by the Howard & Nell E. Miller Foundation, we were able to support even more great youth organizations in 2015:
- Covenant Church of Pittsburgh: Spanish Summer Camp at Wilkinsburg’s Turner Elementary
- Prince Hall Masonic Temple: Health Fair & Kids’ Fest
- Hosanna House, Inc.: Summer Nights Event
- The Entertainment Consortium: Summer Event
- Wilkinsburg Baseball Association: 2015 Season
- Greater Pittsburgh Area MAD DADS: Mini Library at Wilkinsburg’s Ferguson Playground & Fatherhood Celebration
- 2014: Wilkinsburg Baseball Association for their 2014 season
- 2013: Wilkinsburg High School Civics Class for Gym after Dark
- 2012 & 2011: Wilkinsburg Community Ministry for the Youth Meal Partnership, which provides hot, nutritious meals to youth enrolled in the Wilkinsburg Boys & Girls Club summer program.
- 2010: Wilkinsburg Boys & Girls Club for summer camp scholarships and sponsorship of a field trip to Idlewild Park.