Our History

W
ilkinsburg Community Development Corporation (WCDC) was founded in 2007 by residents and volunteers. Our initial goal was to improve the Wilkinsburg community and business district by attracting development and addressing safety concerns. We continue building on these efforts today through our program areas: Business District Revitalization; Education & Youth; Green, Clean & Safe; and Image & Identity.

Officially incorporated as a 501 (c)(3) nonprofit organization in 2008, our first staff member, executive director, Tracey Evans, was hired in 2010. During the same year, the WCDC moved into a centrally-located office at 1001 Wood St., at the corner of Wood St. and Penn Ave., in Wilkinsburg’s Central Business District.

Our office has and continues to serve as a one-stop resource center for businesses, developers, and community residents.

Over the past five years, we have hired three additional full-time staff members, and have worked with hundreds of volunteers, partners, and supporters to further and fulfill our mission to promote the revitalization of Wilkinsburg through business & residential development; organizational & individual civic leadership; and ethnic & cultural diversity.

Learn more about the WCDC’s projects by checking out our plans and reports.